Trumps Sex Life, WikiLeaks Plus More
Unless you’ve been under a rock for the last 24 hours, you know that Trump’s so-called “lewd” recordings have blown up the country, garnering attention from nearly every news station, celebrity and social media warrior. Along with all of the uproar, many Republicans are calling for Trump to drop out of the race, including former presidential nominee John McCain. In addition, Condoleezza Rice called for his withdrawal on Facebook. Former opponents Carly Fiorina and John Katich are also saying he should drop out. Trump, however, is assuring his supporters that there are absolutely no chances of that happening. In a late-afternoon Oct. 8 tweet, Trump said, “The media and establishment want me out of the race so badly - I will never drop out of the race, will never let my supporters down!”
Many news sources are dragging up even more past demeaning comments Trump has made that have been previously mentioned during the presidential race (though mostly swept under the rug by his supporters). These include many comments he’s made during interviews with Howard Stern. Particularly noted conversations include such topics as his daughter’s sex appeal, his dislike of women over 35, menstrual sex, mixed race sex, losing his virginity, threesomes, sex with Melania, Tiger Woods’ affairs, sex addiction and his beauty pageants.
Another Trump-related piece of media making its rounds yesterday on Facebook, Twitter and the like, is a leaked video interview with actor Robert De Niro. In the short clip, De Niro has quite a few strong words regarding the possible future president, calling him a “pig,” “dog,” “con,” “idiot” and a “bullshit artist,” before saying that he’d like to punch him in the face.
On the other side of the fence, Clinton is dealing with leaked Wall Street speeches found courtesy of WikiLeaks. It appears that the speeches are private, paid and, to some, conflicting. Yesterday, the Associated Press released an article suggesting Clinton may be a “political moderate, happy to cut backroom deals with corporate interests and curry favor with Wall Street for campaign dollars.” In the emails, which WikiLeaks says were hacked from the personal email account of a Clinton campaign chairman, Clinton goes on to say that she’s far removed from the middle class and that she views some “unsavory” political practices as totally necessary.
Both may play a role in tonight’s debate. The second Trump-Clinton debate begins at 9 p.m. EST, and will run through 10:30. You should be able to find it on all of your typical broadcast networks, and it’ll also be streamed live by several online news outlets. Moderators at the St. Louis event include Anderson Cooper and Martha Raddatz. Some have expressed concern regarding the projected difficulty of this debate, as it will be a town hall-style event. This means that some questions will be asked by the moderators, but others will be asked by already-chosen, undecided voters. The questions can be about anything under the sun and each contender has two minutes to respond, with moderators receiving one minute to push the conversation further.
In other news, after the Department of Justice accused pharmaceutical company Mylan of corporate misclassification, the two have agreed to a $465 million settlement. Mylan produces the much-used EpiPen. Late this week, Sen. Chuck Grassley released a report saying that, “total government charges for EpiPens increased 463 percent while EpiPen unit sales at large increased only 51 percent from 2011 to 2015.” He also asked, “This settlement shows a big problem with just one company and one product. Are there others, and are Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services doing enough to look out for the taxpayers?”
Also, according to NBC News, the Russian email hack, which was just officially confirmed Friday, is much larger than previously guessed. It apparently lasted over a two-year timespan and targeted top-level associates of Hillary Clinton from her stint in the State Department, her presidential campaign staff and top Republic staffers and campaign staff for more than one Republic presidential candidate. While the hacking began two years ago, it supposedly increased heavily with the oncoming election. NBC News interviewed a wide array of staffers and cybersecurity experts, who said that more leaks would come.